Saturday, November 10, 2007

ATTN: Knitters/Crocheters - You Can Help W/The SD Wildfires Recovery Effort

My name is Georgeanne Smith and I live in San Diego and survived the Witch Creek Fire.

Our whole county is being ravaged by wildfires which are burning thousands of acres and have already caused millions of dollars of damage, and many people have lost their homes. These fires started on Sunday, Oct. 21 and are are now just reaching containment. Over 1,588 families lost their homes due to these fire storms and I knew, after being a victim of the Cedar Fire in 2003, that I could not just wait and rely on "someone else" to take care of my neighbors that were displaced.

As a member of the of the knitting and crocheting community here in San Diego (I manage a group of over 100 fiber crafters in Mira Mesa, I placed a plea for help in organizing an effort to make blankets for the families who lost their homes in the fires.I wanted to help them build their homes again and help them feel connected to the community by giving them something made with love. I was asking for donations of 8" acrylic knit or crocheted squares that we can sew together. (No cash please!).

I never expected the outpouring of support and generosity I have received. I have begun to receive not only these squares from the local San Diego community, but Arizona, Michigan, New York, the United Kingdom and Germany. My email is flooded daily with support from people asking how can they help us in San Diego. This is what knitters and crocheters do - we make things and give back to the community we are a part of. I would like your assistance in spreading the word. If you are willing, I would really appreciate it if you could put a post on your website about our efforts and let people know where they can donate squares, or let any other friends know who can reach a lot of knitters and crocheters.You can direct them to email: sandiegowildfireblankets@gmail.com for more information and for the addresses where they can send the finished squares. You can read the whole story and follow our progress on our blog at: www.sandiegowildfireblankets.blogspot.com.

And If you are interested in donating a square or two yourself, that would be awesome as well. Thanks so much in advance for your help.

GeorgeAnne Smith

No comments: